Re: Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Automatic lengthening of Lyrics extenders
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 21:28:57 -0600

On Thu 21 Feb 2019 at 16:40:22 (-0500), Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> > However when there is a long note (e.g. full, or breve or such) the current
> > situation leaves room for improvement (to my knowledge).
>
> For untied notes (like single whole notes), the convention is not to have
> extenders.

It does depend on the genre. In barbershop, it's quite usual to print
extenders on single notes, and they're frequent because of the style:
<<
We love to sing like this, sing like this
We love to sing like this________________

The problem of anchoring is recognised for dynamics, and fixed
by using empty chords as attachments. But AFAIK there's no
equivalent for lyrics because they don't attach to empty chords.
I think it's a real lack.

Some people suggest hidden notes, but that messes up the midi.
NullVoice works well, but requires a fair amount of work, and you
end up with another voice to keep synchronised when editing.
I tried the aftergrace method mentioned here last year, but the
extenders seem to end up too long compared with those around them.
(And again the midi is affected.)

Cheers,
David.