Notation for string portamento

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Notation for string portamento
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:09:48 +1100

There was a question identical to this asked in 2017 with not a reply.

To indicate string playing portamento, my composer uses a small glissando line coming up to the note, not attached to any previous note. What's the best way to do this? Can it be achieved with using hidden grace notes (which take up space, it not musical time).

I understand this notation is seen from time to time, and string players are familiar with it. So I am told.

Andrew