Re: Harmonics with ottava

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: Harmonics with ottava
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:55:03 +0100

Hi Andrew

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:51 AM Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Why are quartertones technically wrong?

Quartertones are wrong for harmonics (especially "natural" ones), because neither the finger position nor the resultant pitch are equivalent to equal-tempered quartertones. They are, at best, an approximation; and as I write music in just intonation, a misleading one that I avoid. But like I said: this is an example of a Stockhausen piece, and as he didn't care about tuning properly and I don't care about his music, I'm not going to invest the energy into doing it the right way.