Re: How to fix this divisi please

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: How to fix this divisi please
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 17:00:03 -0700 (MST)

Valentin Villenave-3 wrote
> On 2/6/19, Reggie <

> reegistoop@

> > wrote:
>> Hi. I have put together as much as I can to truly do my best. I hope I am
>> able to get some help to learn why I am wrong. I have a few questions.
>> One,
>> how can I input notes in Violin in the empty measures below divisisi?
>
> Well, you’re using something a bit unusual : you’re actually starting
> a new StaffGroup _inside_ the variable that’s normally used for a
> single staff (your first violins) alone.
> It’s not impossible, but it’s still a bit hasardous.
>
> So, if you want your "main" Violin1 to keep playing while all of this
> is happening, you have to include it as a simultaneous voice, like I
> did in the corrected version of your code below.
>
>> Finally, how can I create a violin 1 part so each part shows the violin 1
>> and then only the "appropriate" divisi for each part only? I don't
>> understand this engraver at all.
>
> OK, this is where it become tricky. Because of your rather unusual
> hack, _all_ of the divisi part are stored in _one_ variable (where we
> usually prefer to define lots of different variables, and then use
> these whenever we want). So we have to start with your huge variable
> with all the staves inside, and then select the ones we want or filter
> the ones we don’t want. LilyPond has a mechanism for that: the \tag
> command, that allows you to mark one music expression and everything
> inside. See
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/different-editions-from-one-source
>
> Oh, one other thing: you don’t need to copy all your definitions
> (global, scoreAViolinI etc.) in every file! Just put them all in one
> file, that you can call, for example, "variables.ly":
>
> %%%%% file: variables.ly %%%%
> global = {…}
> scoreAViolinI = {…}
> etc.
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> And then in another file you can just type :
>
> %%%% file: score.ly %%%%%
>
> \include "variables.ly"
> \header { title = "Full Score" }
> \score {
>   \new StaffGroup <<
>      \new Staff \scoreAViolinI
>      \new Staff … etc …
>   >>
> }
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> And then you can have other files such as
>
> %%%%%% file : solo_part.ly %%%%
>
> \include "variables.ly"
> \header { title = "individual part" }
> \score {
>   \new Staff \scoreAViolinI
> }
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Anyway. Here’s my version of your code, I’ve used tags and added some
> examples of divisi parts as \bookparts blocks (just to have nicer
> titles, and to force them to start on separate pages in the PDF).
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.19.80"

> [...]

V,

I don't know what to say but thank you from the bottom of my heart. You
saved me and my code. I have a lot to learn from this. I thank you.  I would
like to ask few questions more. First, you say I included all violin 1 in
one variable. Why is this bad? I thought each part needs to usually get =
one variable. That seems normal ok? How can you create a variable for a 10
measure divisi, do you really mean that? In that piece, then I would have
variables: violinone, violinonediv1, violinonediv2, violinonediv3, for the
entire instrumentation? Wow that is a lot of variables :)) Or do you mean
violinone, violinonedivisis and that's it?

Second please, why do you need to  \remove Time_signature_engraver when you
create my divisi part? I don't see why that is needed for me. Thanks!!!!