Re: Configuration Point & Click

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Configuration Point & Click
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 12:17:12 -0700 (MST)

Hey David,

David Wright wrote
> I'd be interested to know what configuration command you're using in
> zathura to handle the clicks.

Actually I didn't change anything in my zathura config file yet. I use
Zathura + zathura-pdf-poppler as it allows me to update the pdf
automatically when it is actualized. I simply double-click on notes, or just
use "f" to follow link if I don't want to use the mouse (when I'm lazy :-) )

David Wright wrote
> Clicking a note seems to have no effect, left, right or centre,
> ± shift ± control. However, double clicking a note opens my browser,
> searching unproductively for the textedit string.

Have you tried opening your file and zathura directly from a terminal.
Because for me this solved this browser thing...

OK, I have made newer test (I still haven't given my hopes in making VIM a
good environment for LP!) and discovered some interest things I wanted to
share.

1. If I put in .bashrc export EDITOR=gvim, everything works perfectly
between gvim and zathura. I get a simple warning in the terminal when I
check, like yours (E247: no registered server named "GVIM": Send failed.
Trying to execute locally) but I think it is normal. The documentation tells
lilypond-invoke-editors is calling "gvim --remote +:line:normcolumn file".
That's why the message is prompting, it is calling a server mode without a
name. But this warning isn't very important as everything is then just
working great. You can click on the scores, gvim reacts correctly (you just
have to click enter which is annoying...) but no error message, the cursor
is going at the right place and it opens in the same gvim instance. So first
conclusion, it isn't a problem of configuration in zathura and the E247
isn't a problem.

2. Setting in.bashrc export LYEDITOR="gvim --remote '+call cursor(%(line)s,
%(column)s)' %(file)s" works also without any bug. Same as above.

3. Renaming "gvim" to "vim" in both scenarios will cause the exact same
problems as I have described along this thread. The swap problem when
opening the same file is an issue but can be solved by putting "set
noswapfile" in vimrc. The main problem is this "Input Is not from a
terminal" error which is a big issue. Because when this message appears in
the .ly file, the vim instance is starting to react anormaly. Everything is
bugging, the cursor jumps from various positions, you can enter command
normally, etc. The file is unusable, I have to quit the instance and
restart. It's a shame because with the second option, the cursor moved at
the right position!

Here is a little screen of the error message:
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/05.png>

David Wright wrote
> So I'm pretty confident that lilypond-invoke-editor is doing a good job.

Well now I'm not sure of that. I personally ask myself if the problem
doesn't come simply from the fact that lilypond-invoke-editor is programmed
for gvim but not vim! I try looking at the file but it overtakes my
competences. I wonder, as everyting works as expected in gvim, maybe there
is linux way of "piping" the result of LYEDITOR when configured with gvim
(my second example) in vim? Well it's just an idea, I'm not aware enough how
the pipe command is working in linux.