Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 04:44:07 -0800

On 2019-02-04 4:06 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for taking so much care with this answer. But there's a problem. The viola solo in this (New Complexity) score for a quartet is incredibly dense
and fills the whole page to the point that I have to have zero bottom
margin. There's very high ledger notes and very low ones, so that staves are large of necessity. I'd do it as a book part, but the problem here is that everything in this score ties across bars and pages, and I don't see
how to carry ties across voices between bookparts. This is the basis on
which my query was formed.

I must confess I have no working knowledge of New Complexity, but is there no way for you to use ottava to reduce the extents of ledger lines? This could potentially reduce the overall vertical footprint of the music without needing to adjust margins.

You mention there is no bottom margin, but does that mean the entire page full of music? If so, there is little to be done save for scaling the music down or using larger paper.

But assuming there is still a top margin, that means there is space to be used and distributed across the page. Stretchability allows you to set the actual margins to much smaller than you are currently using but end up with effectively large margins because LilyPond puts the excess space where you want it. This being automatic means it is ideal for scores with many pages as you do not need manual effort (other than reviewing for correctness).

I did not mention it before; but you can adjust the stretchability so that LilyPond favors the top margin over the bottom if that is your intention. Take my example from before and try lowering the stretchability of last-bottom-spacing a little at a time.

-- Aaron Hill