edition-engraver: multiple editions

From: Mason Hock
Subject: edition-engraver: multiple editions
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 09:30:34 -0700

I'm slowly getting a handle on edition-engraver, largely thanks to this[1]
guide, which very clearly explains basic usage for a single edition. However,
neither the guide nor the usage examples in the repo demonstrate the use of
multiple editions, and I'm confused as to how that would be done in a useful
way. For example, these two snippets

\include "oll-core/package.ily"
\loadPackage edition-engraver

\addEdition first
\editionMod first 1 0/4 the-staff.Voice ^\markup { 1 }
\editionMod first 1 2/4 the-staff.Voice ^\markup { 2 }

\consistToContexts #edition-engraver Staff.Voice

\score {
  \new Staff \with { \editionID the-staff } {
    \relative c' {
      c d e f

\include "oll-core/package.ily"
\loadPackage edition-engraver

\addEdition first
\editionMod first 1 0/4 the-staff.Voice ^\markup { 1 }

\addEdition second
\editionMod second 1 2/4 the-staff.Voice ^\markup { 2 }

\consistToContexts #edition-engraver Staff.Voice

\score {
  \new Staff \with { \editionID the-staff } {
    \relative c' {
      c d e f

produce identical output, so, in the way I've been using edition-engraver so
far, defining multiple editions does not appear to have a different effect from
placing all edition-mods in one edition. It is true that I could put the
edition-mods for each edition in a separate .ily file and only include the one
I want to use when I compile, but even then there is no reason that the edition
in each file could be called "first" instead of giving the editions different
names.

My expectation would be that there is a way of specifying which editions(s)
should have their edition-mods observed and which should be ignored, but I
can't find any information about this. Can anyone provide an example of correct
usage of edition-engraver to maintain multiple editions?

Thanks,

Mason

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-01/msg00603.html