Re: Reusability of lilypond code?

From: Mason Hock
Subject: Re: Reusability of lilypond code?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 16:24:23 -0700

On 06/27, Ben wrote:
> Mason,
>
> Does that mean for every piece of yours you have separate dynamic contexts
> for every single instrument? I'd imagine that could possibly clutter up your
> score a bit, no?
>
> To have many dynamic context variables mapped to all their appropriate
> instruments, just curious how you manage it all? Do you only pick a few
> dynamic contexts for main instruments, or really all?
>
> Interested to hear more :)

I try to avoid clutter by breaking my project into many .ily files, each either
containing one kind of information or fulfilling one role in piecing together
the project. For example, each instrument has one file containing all of its
notes and one file containing all of its dynamics. These files are included in
another file defining that instrument's staff, which looks like this:

\new Staff { \include "../music/instrument-name/notes.ily" }
\new Dynamics \with {
  \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP
} { \include "../music/instrument-name/dynamics.ily" }

This file is in turn included in another file that puts together that
instrument's part, like this:

\score {
  <<
    \include "../staves/instrument.ily"

  \layout {}

as well as the file that puts together the score, which contains something like
this:

\score {
  <<
    \include "../staves/instrument.ily"
    \include "../staves/another-instrument.ily"
    \include "../staves/a-third-instrument.ily"
    \include "../staves/etc.ily"

  \layout {}

As an example of how I organize all this, here's the project setup for the
piece I'm about to start engraving:
https://notabug.org/chaosmonk/untouchable-space

This isn't the final setup. I'll make the score and part generation more
modular and give instruments edition-mods.ily files once all the notes are in
and I start tweaking and creating editions for different paper/tablet sizes.

I'd be interested to hear about other approaches. How do you normally manage
your projects with respect to dynamics and in general?