Re: \bookparts and scaling

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: \bookparts and scaling
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 01:49:23 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ralph,

I'm neither Crimson nor Sunrise, but I guess having both full score and
parts together in one PDF is quite a common requirement.

Using smaller print for the full score but using larger print for the parts
while keeping up natural spacing is not easy to achieve in LilyPond, because
set-global-staff-size only works for whole books, i.e. separate output
files.

Here's a minimal example (without any attempt do alter score sizes yet) as a
working basis for the implementation of different approaches:

%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.81"

#(set-default-paper-size "a6")

fluteI  = { \repeat unfold 20 { c''8 e'' g'' e'' } \bar "|." }
fluteII = { \repeat unfold 20 { c'4 g' } \bar "|." }

\bookpart {
  \header { instrument = "Full Score" }
  \score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Fl. 1" } \fluteI
      \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Fl. 2" } \fluteII

\bookpart {
  \header { instrument = "Flute 1" }
  \score {
    \new Staff \fluteI

\bookpart {
  \header { instrument = "Flute 2" }
  \score {
    \new Staff \fluteII

%%%%%%%%%%

First, there is the full score, containing Flute 1 and Flute 2.
This full score should use smaller print, cf. #(set-global-staff-size 10) in
a \book.
The parts, however, should look as if printed with #(set-global-staff-size
20).
And all within one single PDF.

These extreme differences should make spacing problems obvious.

How do you (to the list in general) handle such a case without using
external PDF postprocessing programs?
I'm usually working around the problem by using (at least) two PDF files -
one for the full score and one (or even individual files) for the parts -
for several reasons.

All the best,
Torsten