Re: Tags template, for markup?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Tags template, for markup?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 16:50:54 -0400

On 6/26/2018 4:42 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Ben <address@hidden> writes:

On 6/26/2018 4:15 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Ben <address@hidden> writes:

Hello everyone,

I'm learning very quickly just how incredibly powerful the tags system
can be, but today my brain just can't get past one hurdle.

I am hoping someone can help me to grasp this: suppose I would like to
setup a tag template (for my visualizing and learning) so I can add
some markup to one note in an instrument's part, but have it not show
in the full score. I understand how to include things like overrides
and such in a tag area:

(i.e.

\tag #'partonlytag { \once \override DynamicLineSpanner.staff-padding = #8 }

)

but how does this work when the tagged content is something like
markup, which applies *directly* to a note in the stream? I can't
attach the markup tag content without errors,
Not?  Why not?

Something like

{ c'1-\tag partonlytag -"hi!" }

should work fine.
Wow. That went right over my head the first time. I was trying to
force everything to always be contained within a separate "{     }"
with my tagged content. I really didn't even think about the option of
simply writing the tag and then right into the markup.
It's not "right into the markup" but "right into the text script",
namely - followed by markup (you can tag only music expressions, and a
text script is a music _expression_ while markup isn't).

David,

This makes sense to me now that you put it like that, not "right into the markup" but "right into the text script".

It clicked for me. Thank you!