Re: Cannot PNG capture with Frescobaldi macOS 10.13.5

From: Joshua Nichols
Subject: Re: Cannot PNG capture with Frescobaldi macOS 10.13.5
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:09:31 -0400

Hi David,

I'll look into GraphicsMagick.

Thanks!

--
Josh

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 12:22 AM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri 22 Jun 2018 at 13:15:36 (-0400), Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I think you miss it because the functionality is within Frescobaldi itself.
> It's run in the preview, and it allows me to customize aliasing,
> resolution, etc, and it captures to png, as Ben pointed out.
>
> Any form of screen capture would be insufficient.

Yes, I see what you're doing now. The "scrot" method is what I would
use to produce the image that Ben posted, whereas you are lacking the
functionality illustrated within that image: ie capture of the blue
rectangle.

> Frescobaldi also allows you to automatically crop the image to the
> boundaries of the music, which is primarily why I use it.

Would this imply that you normally capture the entire music, surrounded
by white margins? Is it unsuitable to run LP so that it produces a
PNG file (rather than PDF) with   --png -dresolution=1200
(or whatever value is appropriate)?

Programs like GraphicsMagick can crop a PNG image; GM's terminology
for cropping in this manner is "trim", ie "removes any edges that are
exactly the same color as the corner pixels."

Aside: I don't know what your workflow is, but with PNG files (which
are rasters) you have to worry about resolution, whereas with a PDF
file workflow, the images are vectors and remain sharp regardless of
the magnification. There are programs like pdfcrop that crop/trim
PDFs in the same manner.

Cheers,
David.