Re: Accidental style in presence of mid-bar line breaks.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Accidental style in presence of mid-bar line breaks.
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:50:37 +0100

On Mon, 2018-06-25 at 13:53 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > In 18th c. mss and prints it is quite common to create line breaks
> > during bars - I've found this much improves the legibility of some
> > florid slow movements.
> >
> > However, it seems that the available accidental styles only take
> > account of barlines and ignore line breaks, which is not very
> > practical, since the brain, seeing a start of line with key
> > signature
> > and a note following without any accidental, will naturally play
> > the
> > note according to the key signature, not holding over any
> > accidental
> > from earlier in the bar on the previous line.
> >
> > I don't know if this is covered in Gould, but it would be nice if
> > LilyPond could handle this.
>
> LilyPond's accidental styles are not sufficiently married with the
> line
> breaking decisions to allow for this.

Ah, I suspected this might be so. I wonder if it would be possible to
alert the user if the \bar "" invitation to create a line break had
been taken up by LilyPond? If LilyPond issued some message then the use
would only need to examine those bars that had actually been broken to
tidy up (with the inevitable danger that the tidying up may cause the
line-breaking to change!).
Is there some hook-point where such a warning could be issued?

Richard