Re: Binary Search Tree in Scheme

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Binary Search Tree in Scheme
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 13:25:09 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh my, it's less than a year that I learned and successfully completed
> programming assignments on all of these - and already it's so far away
> Of course I was aware that I'd actually need some regular practice to
> keep these things fresh and get to a more thorough understanding that
> helps me keep them in mind for longer.

University courses are no substitute for learning by having things hit
you in your face.  Nor are they supposed to be.  What they can (and
hopefully will) do is make it comparatively natural and achievable to
_analyse_ what hit you and have the tools and proven chops for designing
countermeasures.  Even better is having things hit others in the face
and administer advice from the peanut galleries.  That helps
considerably against "task blindness" where you are so stuck on making
your solution work that you lose sight of its impact on the overall
scheme of things.

> Probably it would have been good if I had made good on my intention to
> reimplement my Python solutions in Scheme. Would probably also have
> produced some tools ready for use ...

Sometimes it's more motivational to learn on the things that count and
do the finger exercises at a point of time where they are only
moderately annoying rather than a hard challenge.

--
David Kastrup