Re: questions in regards to combining multiple parts

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: questions in regards to combining multiple parts
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 13:04:44 -0700

,

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 12:26 PM <address@hidden> wrote:
-------- Mensagem Original --------
Ativo 16 de jun de 2018 14:45, Flaming Hakama by Elaine < address@hidden> escreveu:

From: Kieren MacMillan
To: address@hidden

Hi crimsonsunrise,

> - Considering a number of scores have an odd number of instruments combined (i.e. 3 Trumpets, 3 Clarinets, etc.), why partcombine only works on an even number of parts? Shouldn't partcombine work on *n* number of parts instead?

Of course it should. But how to do so is somewhere between "extremely complicated" and "impossible", and nobody has decided to take on the programming project to date. We are fortunate it works as well as it does, due to the efforts of some wonderful volunteer programmers.

> - If, instead of partcombining the parts, you make them separate voices of a single staff, how you get the markups mentioned before to print in the combined staff without making them be something inside one of the parts?

I use the edition-engraver, because those kinds of markups are part of the presentation layer (not the content layer).

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Not sure what all the hullabaloo is about.

You can iterate with \partcombine:

\version "2.19.15"

trumpetOne = \relative c'' { c8 16 16 f2. }

trumpetTwo = \relative c'' { g8 16 16 a2. }

trumpetThree = \relative c' { e8 16 16 c2. }

trumpetsOneAndTwo = \partcombine \trumpetOne \trumpetTwo

trumpetThreeForPartcombine = \relative { \voiceTwo \trumpetThree }

trumpets = \partcombine \trumpetsOneAndTwo \trumpetThreeForPartcombine

<<

  \trumpets

Elaine Alt

415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"

address@hidden

Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist

The example ignores what I mentioned about markup for when you have the same stuff on all voices or only two voices with the same parts. It still is two parts, and that's part of the issue I'm talking about.

Sorry, I didn't see anything specific in your post regarding markings.

Care to post an example of the parts you'd like to combine that is proving to be troublesome?  It seems I am not able to guess.

In general, I would take Kieren's advice about using the edition engraver as a tool more well suited for getting score- and part- specific alternatives.

But I'm curious to see what the core issue is.

Thanks,