Re: Understanding symbol-list? variable names

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Understanding symbol-list? variable names
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 01:59:26 +0200

On 09.06.2018 01:51, Aaron Hill wrote:
By the by, I noticed a little inconsistency with the support for commas within symbol lists.

%%%%
  \version "2.19.81"
  foo,bar = { c'4 }
  {
    \foo.bar % works
    \foo,bar % error: syntax error, unexpected ','
  }
%%%%

I would have expected the original assignment to fail, but the parser at that point seems fine with the comma as an alternative to a period for defining a symbol list.  However, then, at the point of referencing the variable, the parser is not able to form a symbol list in the same manner.

I’d be fine with that. There are two ways that symbol (or key?) lists are used: in a hierarchically vertical or horizontal way.
Referencing an alist value as in
\foo.bar
definitely falls into the ‘vertical’ category, while
\tagGroup score,part,vocal-score
is definitely in the ‘horizontal’ category.
The comma-separated syntax is only intended for ‘horizontal’ uses, IIUC.

Best, Simon