Triple slurring

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Triple slurring
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:50:31 +0100

Hi,

I'm encountering triple slurs like in the attached examples. Discussion came to the conclusion that I should not "modernize" the notation using only one slur but regard it as an expressive means.

I'm somewhat at a loss at how to proceed best with that as LilyPond only provides "double" slurs (and I must admit that often they don't really look good). In order to create such slurred chords (I don't think there will be any cases of more than three notes, but in theory it should not be limited) I could fake the chord with polyphony, but that doesn't work nicely. "document.png" shows that the middle slur doesn't know about the lower voice and should be laid out quite differently, similar to a ties within a chord.

{
  \key c \minor
  <<
    {
      \voiceOne
      as'4 ( g'8 )
    }
    \new Voice {
      \stemUp
      \omit Flag
      d'4 _( es'8 )
    }
    \new Voice {
      \stemUp
      \omit Flag
      b4 _( c'8 )

Is there any reasonable approach I could take here without creating fake polyphony and then formatting all slurs manually? It's not so much the work I'm fearing (so far I only see 5-8 instances of the problem) but rather the "uncleanliness" of the solution outlined above.

Any ideas?
(And particularly ideas that also work with LilyPond 2.18?)

Thank you
Urs