Re: Scheme programming pointers

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Scheme programming pointers
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 14:11:34 +1100

Hi Karlin,

No, not correct, and not a useful analogy.

The lambda calculus is a universal model of computation. Scheme is a reasonably thin layer over the top of lambda calculus to make it more practical for programming. Scheme therefore has deep theoretical beauty, almost no syntax, and is much loved for these reasons. You will notice the term lambda crops up in Scheme - this is directly from the lambda calculus. Scheme is a dialect of LISP. Once you start programming in LISP type languages and you encounter the inevitable epiphany after struggling to make sense of it, when suddenly everything becomes clear, you never look at the world the same way again.

Your idea may have come from the fact that Scheme is a functional programming language, which uses a declarative paradigm in which programs are written with expressions and declarations rather than statements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming

Andrew