Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:25:07 +1000

On 21/09/15 7:48 AM, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> Well, in his explanation of sus chords, Levine indicates that that
> he does not interpret "sus" to be exactly synonymous with "sus4". At
> one point, he wrote "A persistent myth about sus chords is that 'the
> fouth takes the place of the third.' Jazz pianists, however, often
> voice the third with a sus chord" (The Jazz Piano Book, p.24).

However, if you look at the Real Book for Hancock's charts,
they use the notation like D7sus4 for all those chords.

(The last time I participated in such a discussion on this list,
I was also convinced that there were lots of pure Dsus or Dsus7 or D7sus
examples out there.  But what I found after looking through a
dozen real books is that almost everyone uses D7sus4, in all
cases.  There may be a conceptual difference such as Levine is
arguing, but I would contend that it is not reflected in actual practice
in terms of chord symbol notation.)

I have a good many charts at hand, mostly arrangements for my jazz ensemble from a wide range of publishers. There is no consistency in how chords are written in these charts, between publishers or even in different pieces from the same publisher. I can find plenty of examples of chords like G9sus, C13sus, simply Dsus, and so on.

I've also seen four different published arrangements for Maiden Voyage, with four different notations for the same suspended chord (e.g. D7sus4, D7sus, Dsus, Am7/D).

So my conclusions are a little different.