Re: Import, edit and export a Lilypond file using Python

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Import, edit and export a Lilypond file using Python
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 17:30:26 +0200

Joachim Jablon <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 06/04/2014 15:56, Urs Liska a écrit :
>> It's not fully clear what you mean yet, but it sounds that you might be
>> _much_ better off when you simply create different .ly files with
>> "scores" just displaying the voices you want.
>>
>> Urs
>>

> Yes, that's where I'm headed for, but it must be in a completely
> automated way, from a MusicXML file...
>
> The question is (probably better worded as) *how* would you create a
> .ly file with a single voice from a file (MusicXML or .ly) containing
> multiple voices, using a (Python) script...

Well, the point of MusicXML is doing manipulations as XML rather than
with regexps or similar.

Uh, XSLT scripts or something?

> So for now, I' following David Kastrup's advice and working with the
> MusicXML file directly...

One can certainly also work well with LilyPond code itself, but when the
source of that LilyPond code is converted automatically from MusicXML
using musicxml2ly, it's likely somewhat clunky and unreliable to delve
in there as it will be missing distinctive marks and names and whatever.

--
David Kastrup