Re: Ped.M glyph in Emmentaler

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Ped.M glyph in Emmentaler
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:28:26 +0100

Trevor Daniels  Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:12 PM

> Daniel, you wrote Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:38 AM
>
>> Aha, so it's supposed to be like a hyphen in a split dynamic marking like
>> "cresc - en - do po - co a po - co" or similar.
>>
>> I have never seen an edition where a pedal marking is written as "P - e -
>> d". Do you have a feel for whether this is ever done in published music?
>> If it's simply something that somebody decided would be a useful thing to
>> have in LilyPond but there's no precedence for its use in the wider world,
>> I would be inclined not to include it in SMuFL (particularly because it is
>> surely not as useful as the more standard ways of notating the use of the
>> sustain pedal, with the continuous horizontal line or the gap terminated
>> by the *-like symbol).
>
> Here's another example from the LilyPond regression tests.  This was
> added by Han-Wen in 2004.  I don't know myself if the hyphen is found
> in published music, but I'm pretty sure Han-Wen only added features he
> found in respected scores.  Here's what he added:
>
> \version "2.17.6"
> \header
> {
>  texidoc = "The standard piano pedals style comes with Ped symbols.
> The pedal string can be also tuned, for example, to a shorter tilde/P variant
> at the end of the melody."
> }
>
> \context Staff \relative c'{
>  c4 d e f g
>  \sustainOn b c
>  c, d16[  c  c c]  e[ e \sustainOff \sustainOn e e ] f4 \sustainOff
>  g\sustainOn  b \sustainOff c
>  \set Staff.pedalSustainStrings = #'("-" "-P" "P")
>  \override Staff.SustainPedal.padding = #-2
>  c, \sustainOn d e \sustainOff \sustainOn f
>  \sustainOff g b c
> }

To add to my earlier note:

That example doesn't make much sense to me, but an earlier example
by Han-Wen using pedalSustainStrings set to ("Ped." "-P" "*")
makes more sense.  In this case it indicated an intermediate pedal
lift.  This example is no longer in the code base, having been replaced
by the pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed option.

Trevor