Re: Moving Ottava Text

From: Nick Baskin
Subject: Re: Moving Ottava Text
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:59:59 -0500

Eluze,

Apologies for being unclear! I've attached a minimal example that I hope will demonstrate what I mean. Notice how the "8va" text collides with the beam; I would like to move the "8va" text to the left to avoid this collision, and cannot figure out how to do so. Changing the text by adding a hspace adds space to the right of the text, but doesn't actually move the text itself.

Thoughts?
Nick

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Eluze <address@hidden> wrote:
Nick Baskin wrote
> I'm using 2.18.0, and I need to move the "8va" part of an ottava bracket
> the left to avoid a collision with a beam. I've tried several things, to
> no
> avail: using \override Staff.OttavaBracket.X-offset has no effect as far
> as
> I can tell; using \override Staff.OttavaBracket.shorten-pair gives me
> control over the dashed line, but doesn't affect the "8va" text. I've
> looked at the other properties in the internals reference, but I can't
> find
> anything that looks promising. What do I have to override to make this
> change?

as you're not very specific about the code I just hope this fits:

\set Staff.ottavation = \markup { Text \hspace #4 }

Eluze