Re: baseline-referenced text/markups?

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: baseline-referenced text/markups?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:17:33 -0800 (PST)

Kieren MacMillan wrote
> What would be involved in changing the “reference point” of markups to be
> the baseline (instead of whatever the heck it is now)?

I also think this should be the default - as a work around I use this little
stabilizing function:

#(define-markup-command (stab layout props text) (markup?)
   "combine a transparent descender and ascender with the markup-text to
print"
   (interpret-markup layout props
     #{ \markup \combine \transparent\combine h g $text #}))

of course there's still more to write than if this functionality was built
in.

I couldn't find a feature request for it - is there already something
similar!?

> \new Staff \music
>
> ** the only non-default is the \markLengthOn… which really *should also*
> be a default!!

I agree.

> music = {
>   \markLengthOn
>   \mark \default \tempo "No descenders." R1
>   \mark \default \tempo "No descenders." R1
>   \mark \default \tempo "going going going." R1
> }

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n157511/test3.png>

in this example the 1st measure is much longer than the text requires -
expected behavior? bug?

Eluze