Re: film score example

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:34:34 +0100

On 13/09/13 05:54, Curt wrote:
- Hairpins are surprisingly difficult.  Most instruments do not have a natural
        decay, so hairpins don't necessarily start or end right at the note
        boundaries.  It's necessary to use "fake voices" in these cases.  Even
        with this, it didn't support having a decrescendo end at the Fine bar -
        I had to make it end at a note value before the Fine bar.  And
        if you have ties over these fake voices, you have to know about
        \set tieWaitForNote = ##t

This is for me one of the single most frustrating things with Lilypond. Hairpins that don't begin or end with a notehead or rest are such a typical musical notation, so easy to do by hand or with a WYSIWYG score editor, and really annoying and finnicky to do with Lilypond.

- The alignment of the flat sign in text markup like "Clarinet in Bb" is
difficult.
        I gave up on this one because the approach to make it look right felt
too
        hard-coded.

I "solved" this in some scores by defining an entity \Bflat that was the B combined with the flat sign in the right relative position and size. Imperfect but doable.

- It was extremely hard to specify a subito dynamic right after a hairpin.  This
        is a relatively common use-case, but I had to pull in a pretty
complicated
        scheme function, and modify it, to make it work as expected.  This one
requirement
        probably took around six hours.

If I recall right, doesn't this stem from the fact that default minimum hairpin length is expected to _include_ the dynamic mark's width? So any dynamic mark which contains more than 1 letter can mess up the display of the hairpin (I've even seen cases where the hairpin itself was so narrow it was pretty much a single vertical line -- the angle between its arms was a full 180 degrees!).

I think the solution here is probably that there be a real minimal length for the hairpin alone -- this matches what one sees in e.g. the Henle hand-engraved scores, where (if you remember the video that was posted) the very smallest hairpins are not hand-engraved but stamped with a custom die.