Re: fret diagrams with no staffs

From: Renato
Subject: Re: fret diagrams with no staffs
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:35:55 +0100

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 02:56:17 +0000
Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/31/13 8:47 AM, "Renato" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >However I have not been able to (due to my superficial knowledge of
> >lilypond and snippets dealing with "chord diagrams over a
> >staff" scenario):
> >1) use fret-diagram-details to set the various parameters it offers.
> >It would be best to set this once and for all instead of for every
> >single chord
>
> For \markup fret diagrams, you override the fret-diagram-details
> property of a TextScript object (see
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/fretted-strings
> Customizing markup fret diagrams):
>
> \override TextScript  #'(fret-diagram-details . (
>                    (finger-code . below-string)
>                    (number-type . arabic)
>                    (label-dir . -1)
>                    (mute-string . "M")
>                    (orientation . landscape)
>                    (barre-type . none)
>                    (xo-font-magnification . 0.4)
>                    (xo-padding . 0.3)))

how/where should I put that in my example? The code in
the link produces a staff, which I don't want (and I didn't find
a way to remove it)... I might be missing something obvious, sorry for
that, as I stated I don't have a good grasp of lilypond's fundamentals
(yeah I know that's a fault on my part, but time is what it is)

> >2) Display names on top of chords
>
> For this, you probably don't want to use \markup fret diagrams.
>
> You probably just want to create a score with a ChordNames

Mmh, I've looked into this and made some tests, but I'd like to enter
my chords with the \fret-diagram strings, not with <c e g> (or worse
\chordmode{c}) - that is because I'm rather picky about fingerings and I
want to input jazz "non-standard" chords, so I don't want lilypond to
try to outsmart me, I want to enter exact strings and frets.

so, basically I'd want to:
1) use \fret-diagram to input chords
2) not have a staff
3) display the chord names I want on top of the diagrams (I want
control over that, not lilypond deciding my chord needs to be called a
Csus13... possibly I'd like to put something like "CM7 or Am9")
4) set the properties of fret-diagram-details (like if roman numbers
for the fret number should be upper or lower and so on)

I realise that listed like this it seems like asking much, but
I thought that what I wante was actually pretty simple: just a sheet
with some chords and a way to tune some aesthetics
(fret-diagram-details). just to give an idea of what I'm after I made a
picture of two books I own which have something similar:

http://i.imgur.com/lvAugEJ.jpg

something in that ballpark would be great :)

cheers,
renato