Re: Transposing instruments

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:47:24 +0100

Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden> writes:

> I used to think I was smart :-\
>
> I'm arranging some church hymns for six-part instruments, Flute, 2
> Violins, 2 F Horns, 1 cello.
>
> Hymn is in F major. Arrangement is notated in LP in F major.

That means you have notation that is in pitch, and you want it to look a
fifth higher.

> How do I get the Horn parts correctly engraved in the proper key? I
> have tried
>
> \transpose f c'

Should be perfect.  Can you show what problem you had here?

> \transpose bf f'

Looks equivalent (assuming English note language where bf is b flat).

> But no matter what I select the midi output is horribly wrong.

\transpose transposes everything completely, Midi and score.  So the
Midi is a fifth too high.

There is a Midi-only command for _then_ telling LilyPond that the
instrument is transposed.  So you need to place your horn part within

\transpose f c' { \transposition f ... }

in order to have the visuals go up one fifth, and have the Midi
compensate for that.

--
David Kastrup