Re: Four piano snippets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Four piano snippets
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:07:46 +0100

Curt <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't include a tempo marking but I should clarify that the tempo
> is fast enough that the tremolo would probably be too difficult to
> play with one hand. Throughout the piece the emphasis is on the
> alternating hand pattern with the melody in the "right half" of the
> right hand (You can hear the piece at
> http://curtsiffert.com/anelusivesweetness )
>
> I was thinking the fingering would help to communicate that idea, but
> maybe the cross-staving helps to communicate that enough.

My personal preference would be to not use the cross-staving as it does
not make much musical sense but is rather a question of execution.

Instead, I'd use brackets (I think we just have \arpeggioBracket for
that purpose) to indicate the cross-staff execution.

If the tremolo is intended as a "cross voice" tremolo (with a
harpsichord or organ or a string instrument, you can put cross-voice on
a different manual or string, but with a piano it is rather quite a
subtle phrasing question), you'd put the notes in separate voices with
their own stem direction.  However, that would not facilitate tremolo
notation, but you could just spell it out for one measure and then put
"simile" on the first bar with tremolo notation, possibly with a voicing
bracket and/or a fingering.

--
David Kastrup