Re: Visual Index to Documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Visual Index to Documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:50:04 +0100 (CET)

> since the beginning of the year, I have worked on an alternative
> access to the LilyPond documentation, which I call a visual index.
> It is intended especially for tweaking purposes, if a user wants to
> change a property of an object.
>
> Here it is:
> http://joramberger.de/files/lilypond_visualindex.pdf

This is an excellent idea and very well done!  Hopefully, something
like this can eventually be integrated into Lilypond.

> PS: If anyone knows if that could be done in html instead of pdf, I
> would like to know. It is produced by LilyPond from a ly file.

Yes, this would be nice indeed.  Some issues:

  . Assuming we have an HTML visual index, and the documentation gets
    installed locally, links should go to the local HTML files.  If
    not found, use the internet.  Using the `onerror' HTML DOM event,
    this is rather straightforward to implement with a few lines of
    JavaScript, BTW.

  . I would like to have the PDF file point to PDF documentation for
    consistency.

    Werner