Re: How to add markings to a percent repeat?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to add markings to a percent repeat?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:03:04 +0100

Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote
>> Eluze &lt;
>
>> eluzew@
>
>> &gt; writes:
>>
>>> ryanmichaelmcclure wrote

>>> use a (temporary) 2nd voice!?
>>>
>>> <<
>>>   \repeat percent 7 {a8 \p\staccato e'8 \staccato a,8 \staccato e'8
>>> \staccato }
>>>   \\
>>>   { s1 s s s4 \< s s s \!  }
>>>>>

>>> (don't know if it's positioned correctly)
>>
>> In this case you would not want a separate voice but rather want to have
>> this stuff appear in the _same_ voice.  So leave out the voice separator
>> \\ and just write the rest as you did.
>
> absolutely - and I don't know why I put this voice separator (I never use it
> for me)
>
> but the result being the same - what am I missing?

With crescendi, the alignment is likely just horizontally and on general
music timing, so probably not much (possibly the Midi dynamics) in the
second voice.  However, this puts a \voiceOne in the first voice and a
\voiceTwo in the second voice, so the stems might come out unexpectedly
directed in the first voice, probably the main harm in this usage.

Also, any ties (or other spanners) from outside the parallel passage to
inside and back will no longer be able to connect since the first voice
has changed into \context Voice = "1".

--
David Kastrup