Re: context and lilypond

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: context and lilypond
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:45:28 +0100

Am 2013-01-20 um 12:17 schrieb David Kastrup:

>>> What are the performance characteristics?  One point of LilyPond-book is
>>> that it compiles a large number of fragments with a single run of
>>> LilyPond.  That makes, for example, compilation times of our manuals
>>> less unbearable.
>>
>> LilyPond gets called for every single snippet (but only once, as long
>> as it doesn’t change or move),
>
> Move?

The snippet buffers are just numbered, so if you insert one before the first,
all others will get re-rendered, too.
I guess we could change that behaviour, e.g. use keywords or some UID per
buffer.
I’ll discuss that with Aditya (author of t-filter).

>> so it’s probably not suitable for a manual. But it’s good enough for
>> my songbooks.
>
> What would be involved to make it collect jobs?  Doing more than one job
> on a single call is not a prerequisite of LilyPond.  Now LilyPond-book
> also sifts out duplicates which is nice when compiling a dozen
> translations.  Demanding that from Context would likely be excessive
> (though I think that the underlying engines can do checksums).  But
> combining several files on a single command line?  That does not sound
> too unreasonable.

The filter modules uses MD5 checksums to find changed snippets.
If I understand it right, ATM LilyPond is called for every single snippet, and
the resulting PDF is placed immediately (so the buffer file could even get
overwritten later). If we would collect those buffers, ConTeXt couldn’t check
the size of the resulting image (PDF) and would need another run.
I have no idea what the best approach would be. I can live with the current
(rather slow) speed; TeX still needs more time than LilyPond, while I don’t
change or move a lot of my songs.

But at least my usage of t-filter only uses one-page LilyPond snippets. With a
bit of Lua to detect the results of a LP run it shouldn’t be that complicated
to use single system images like lilypond-book.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm