Re: Stanza (or similar) at the end of a line?

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Re: Stanza (or similar) at the end of a line?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:04:28 +1300

On 15/01/2013, at 2:25 am, Eluze wrote:

> one approach - define
>
> repetition = \markup { \huge \bold ℟}
>
> then use it in the lyrics within a \markup which includes the syllable after
> which you want this sign:
>
> verseOne = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1."
>  "This is the" first
>  \markup {verse. \repetition}
> }

Something like that had occurred to me, and for the example as I posted it, it
actually works quite well.  But in the real thing there is space between the
end of the text and the final double bar, and the responsum mark should be at
or just before the bar, not immediately after the text.

\version "2.16"

\layout {
  indent = 0.0\cm
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #left
  }
  ragged-last = ##f
}

response =  {
  \new Staff <<
    \clef treble \new Voice = "antiphon" { \relative f { a'4 b a g a1 \bar ":|"
} }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "antiphon" { \set stanza = "℟." This is the re --
sponse.  }

}
responsum = \markup{ \bold \fontsize #-1 "℟." }

verseOne = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1."
"This is the" first \markup{ verse.  \responsum }
}
verseTwo = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "2."
"This is the" next \markup{ verse.  \responsum }
}

\score { \response \layout { ragged-last = ##t } }

sMusic = << \relative f {
        a'1 g2 a \bar "||"
} >>

\score {
    \new Staff << \clef treble \new Voice = "sopranos" { \sMusic }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranos" { \verseOne }

}

\score {
    \new Staff << \clef treble \new Voice = "sopranos" { \sMusic }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranos" { \verseTwo }

}

I could jam in an hspace before each \responsum, but the length would have to
be adjusted manually for each verse, and it doesn't really work even then: the
responsum mark never actually gets to the right-hand end, and the rest of the
line gets bunched up to the left.

I can get the desired _horizontal_ placement by putting \mark \markup{
\responsum } at the end of the music, but no amount of tweaking or realigning
seems able to displace this vertically from its position above the staff.

Best wishes,
Matthew