Re: Ties and multiple voices

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: Ties and multiple voices
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:17:37 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Mario,
>
>> I see two problems related to ties that I can't really explain/fix given
>> my limited understanding of LilyPond:
>>
>> 1. Ties before a repeat and at the end of alternatives:
>>
>> \version "2.14.2"
> I would recommend to update to the latest stable version 2.16.

Yes, I know.  I did test with a dev-build and saw the same issues.
So I am continuing to use my Debian installed LilyPond package for now.

>> \score {
>> {
>> \clef "treble"
>> \key g \major
>> \time 3/8
>> g''4.~-4 \bar "|:" % 1
> You do not need that repeat bar. The repeat command does it for you.

Thanks.

> I would suggest to repeat from the very beginning, and end one measure
> earlier, too.

Wouldn't that actually change the position of the repeat bar, then?
I am converting from braille music notation to LilyPond, and I'd like to
stay true to the original score as much as possible.
My original score puts the repeat begin barline between the first and
second measure.

>> \repeat volta 2 {
>>   << { a''4.~}\\{g''8 fis''16 e'' d'' c''-2} >> |
>
> Here, life is very complicated for you and LilyPond, because every
> measure has a new pair of voices. It would make sense to have 2 voices
> throughout the piece, using:
> <<
>   \new Voice { a''4.~ | … }
>   \new Voice { g''8 fis''16 e'' d'' c''-2 | … }
>>>

> instead of << { } \\ { } >> in every measure.

That is exactly what I was trying to ask with my original post.
David's answer seemed to suggest that this is not an issue, but I guess
the confusion arose from my very badly written initial example.

>> \alternative {
>>   {<< {d'16 c' b a g  fis-1}\\{ fis8 r r} >> |  g''4.~-4  | }
>>   {<d' fis>4. | a''4.~-4  | }
>
> Here, the error message is correct, because there is no note that
> follows this tie. You would not have this problem, if the repeat was
> shifted by one measure as described above.

I understand.

> If you really need such ties, \laissezVibrer could be helpful (and
> \repeatTie in the other direction at the beginning of an alternative).

Thanks for the hint, I will investigate these commands.

>> I will probably have to do some reordering there.
>>

> That would be helpful.

Problem is, my shuffling-round of things for LilyPond to understand them
correctly will be written down in code, since I am working on a
converter between tactile and visual music notation.

>> 2. Ties in chords:
>>

> Again, having 2 voices throughout the piece and not a new pair for every
> measure would solve your issues. You can not tie notes from one voice to
> another.

So for ties to work, I will have to calculate global voices, since my
input language inherently specifies voices only per measure.
I was hoping to avoid this rather messy and error-prone transformation.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕