Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:16:31 +0100

Am 10.01.2013 11:25, schrieb Jan-Peter Voigt:
Great!
I would like to join in and I am going to host my lib/framework on github too with the option and goal of integration with openLilyLib and/or later lilypond.
That's great too!
This morning I created a github account,
What's your user name? I'd like to add you.
The standard way to collaborate on a Github project is to
  • fork a repo (i.e. create a personal copy of it)
  • make modifications to your fork
  • send a pull request (ask the maintainer to merge your changes into the original repo)

While this is a perfect way to start participation in a project whose maintainer doesn't know you, it's more straightforward to be an explicit collaborator with push access to the repository.
And I think we can be rather generous with that.

so I am not familiar with its services (beside the usage of GIT).
... which is _far_ more than 50% of the problem (i.e. won't face you with any serious problems.)
What are you missing regarding the issue tracker?
Sorry if I can't put my fingers on it very concisely (I'm still sort of a beginner in these areas), but as a general remark I find it somewhat too simplistic.
It's a tool that you can start to use right away (that seems to be Github's objective in general), but the downside is that it isn't very refined.
A few issues compared to LilyPond's issue tracker on Google Code:
  • Filtering issues isn't very good
  • You can't give priorities to issues
  • No mechanism to verify issues
  • No option to merge issues
  • (don't find more right now, but there surely are)

Someone else pointed out that it is a real problem that one (i.e. anybody) can edit issues and comments. You can change a message afterwards without leaving a trace from that.

The only real 'advantage' of Githubs tracker is that it is integrated with Git. So you can reference or close issues directly from commit messages. This is nice, especially because you'll get a message in the issue saying 'this issue was closed by commit <link>asdpfj02395</link>.
But I don't think that's really worth sticking to it.

Best
Urs

Best,
Jan-Peter