Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Guide to Writing Orchestral Scores with Lilypond?????
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 21:58:56 +0100

Am 09.01.2013 20:58, schrieb Antonio Gervasoni:
Urs wrote:

Well, the risk may be that it is a case of immediate enthusiasm which
might fade away
when there aren't immediate results ;-)
Yes, I am aware of that! So I have already decided that I will definitely
document my approach to the matter. If the collaborative effort is
successful then I'll contribute to it with my text, if not I'll just find
the proper place to upload it and make it available to all Lilypond users.
Very good idea!

I think that the contributions we are talking about right now (tutorial
and material
for orchestral scores for example) could very well be included in c)
Excelent! Very nice project, by the way. Thank you for presenting it with so
much detail. My basic plan for the document is to describe each step of the
process, exactly as I did it, present the problems I found in the way and
how I "tackled" each one of them and then include possible alternative
approaches, if I can think of any.
For me this looks like the ideal approach. At least it's what I feel necessary. It's not the only possible approach, but surely a useful one.

My 'natural' choice would be the (already existing, but essentially empty)
Github repository
This is the first time I take a look at a Github repository so honestly I
couldn't say it is better than any other solution.
Do you know Git (and the difference between Git and Github)?
I think the use of Git as a versioning system is undoubtedly extremely useful and should really be considered essential. Github OTOH is a service provider focused on Git project hosting. It is well possible to host a project on any other site but still use Git. What I'm not really sure about is if we'd need the possibility to deal with both text and binary files. If we want to be open for the contribution of OpenOffice files or closed PDF files I'm not sure if Github is the best solution. Technically it would surely be better to base all documentation on text files (i.e. mainly LaTeX), because this allows to profit from versioning and ease of collaboration. But as I said I'm afraid this could scare many people off. OTOH it is quite possible that someone creates an original version of a text in, say, OpenOffice (keeping some 'coding style') and 'import' this into the project by changing it to LaTeX.

No need to worry. A document in non-perfect English (and I don't see any
problem when reading
your emails ...) is far better than no document.
Well, it is one thing to write emails and another to write a document like
that.
Of  course I know that ;-) I think most of us do ...
I read a lot in English and I'm always amazed at the way a native
English speaker writes in his own language. I could never come up with
something of that quality.
[OT:] I had a 'funny' experience in this regard last year. I had written liner notes in German for a cd project that were translated to English by someone who was paid for by the record company. I was absolutely shocked when I got the translation because it was just so obvious to me that it wasn't a native speaker. Well, he didn't even know about music, which resulted in 'Google translator' like accidents like that translation of 'Die großen Bögen' (something like 'the long phrases') to 'the great slurs'. I was very happy that someone offered some money to pay someone to improve this translation. The second guy was a native speaking musicologist (who presumably could have written the original text himself), and this was a very interesting experience. While the first translation followed my text practically word by word, the sentences of the second one often didn't resemble mine at all - but always expressed exactly what I wanted to say :-)

Urs