Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Eben Sorkin
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:44:54 -0500

On Jan 9, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> On 9 January 2013 12:07, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The font should cover the most important languages used for
>> `classical' vocal music, especially operas.  This includes Italian,
>> German, French, Czech (e.g. Dvořák), Russian (in Cyrillic), English,
>> probably Hungarian (Bartók).  Today it's common that the original
>> language is typeset in upright shape, and a translation in italic, but
>> sometimes it's vice versa.
>>
>> I've also seen a transliteration (using IPA) instead of a translation,
>> so covering the IPA characters for the above languages would be useful
>> also.
>
> Assuming 4 styles (reg bold italic bold-italic) for that character
> set, I'd estimate $40,000 is a minimum.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Dave

You may not care about bold italic as a practical matter. If so then some
savings can be had there.

Alternatively a set of small caps and or version of the font where the caps are
spaced to each other rather than to the lower case might suit your needs better.

Most fonts use a capital spacing which is a compromise between what the lower
case needs and what cap to cap spacing needs. If you split it you can make sure
each need is fully met.

-e.