Re: strange error after reducing music rhythm by an half

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: strange error after reducing music rhythm by an half
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:40:49 +0100

Am 27.12.2012 22:31, schrieb Federico Bruni:
Hi

while transcribing a piece of music, I realized that it may work better if written with a different rhythm, so I used the Frescobaldi option which reduces the rhythms by an half. Then I removed all the bar checks.

But I cannot compile this modified file and I don't have a clue of the reason why. Below you find the verbose output and the error message. Is it enough to figure out what the error can be?

[...]
 313: 29* [ly:pitch-tones ...
 313: 30* [list-ref (#<Pitch e' > #<Pitch b > #<Pitch g > ...) {7}]

translation-functions.scm: In procedure list-ref in expression (list-ref tuning (1- string)):
translation-functions.scm: Argument 2 out of range: 7
It looks as if lilypond finds a call for a seventh string on your (probably) six-string guitar tablature. Perhaps frescobaldi tried to convert a string number into a reduced rhythm?
Or you removed some character while removing the bar checks?

I had a similar error message long time ago, and it took me about half an hour until I found out that I did some guitar trickery being tested on a four-string-bass tablature, but this does
not seem to be the case here.

HTH a bit,

Marc