Re: Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music

From: Ben Beeson
Subject: Re: Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:29:33 -0800

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I started out with something very similar
to what you have here except I had the whole tune thumped in before I
noted the troubles with the notes colliding with other items like the
time signature etc.

I tried your suggestion and initially got my original results.  Then I
noticed that your example has fewer "\time 3/4" than my example did.  So
I took those time signatures out one at a time starting from the end to
see what happened.  When I removed the second \time 3/4 from the score
block, the tune rendered correctly.  That was interesting.  I removed
them all except for one last \time 3/4.  All was working well.

Then I added the \time 3/4s back one at a time to see if I could find
out if there was a trouble spot in a particular place.  As I added all
the time signatures back, it still worked correctly until I added the
second \time 3/4 in the score block.  It seems that adding the second
\time 3/4 to the score block is problematic. (example attached below)

I am stumped, but happy.  I say that because LilyPond renders the tune
correctly and does not error on bar checks etc unless you have the
second \time 3/4 in the score block.  I know that removing the second
\time 3/4 from the score block fixed the problem, and that adding it
back recreated the problem.  I thought this was odd since the LilyPond
manual in the section on Changing time signatures inside a polymetric
section using \scaleDurations appears to show an example that has more
than one time signature in the score block.  For now I will try to
remember to minimize the use of "\time X/Y" in the scores to avoid
collisions in the future.

If anyone can explain why the extra time signature in the score block is
an issue, I would like to learn about why that is.

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Ben