Re: Markup and stencil formatting questions

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: Markup and stencil formatting questions
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:47:26 -0800 (PST)

shutterfreak wrote
> I would really love to be able to make smaller examples but in this case
> my
> LilyPond knowledge does not allow me to make the proper judgment call on
> what to leave and what not. I tried to recreate a snippet with
> line-wrapped
> text appearing in 3 columns, sandwiched between lines with text. So far I
> haven't found any documentation explaining the intricate differences
> between \line, \fill-line, \column, \box etc that would allow me to reduce
> my problem to a meaningful small snippet.

well, I hope you found a solution for what you wanted to do (if not just
ask!)

one essential to remember is that nearly all these commands (overrides or
how you want to call them) work on the following object - and only on that!
many languages differ in this (also LilyPond: e.g. if you say \textLenghtOn
this will be valid until you revert it with \textLengthOff; or \voiceOne
\oneVoice and many others more) - the \markup commands don't affect later
objects.

what you presented is a big accumulation of nested objects. if you want you
can add a snippet to the LSR:

topic (just a proposal): using \column \colums \override #'(baseline-skip .
number) \general-align \wordwrap \justify … to create a sophisticated
textual introduction to a piece.

or simpler: using markup commands to …

one remark to the \box command: this can help to show what is in the box,
but it will not show the real size of an object - like in your line with
dots it adapts to the height of the dots and not to the effective height.

Eluze