Re: Shifting notes horizontally

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Shifting notes horizontally
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:33:14 -0800

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 08:52:54PM -0800, Jim Long wrote:

> Is there a way to insert empty horizontal staff space at an
> arbitrary point in a particular voice?

Re-reading that, I realize I didn't word it well....

I meant that inserting space into any one voice would also insert
that horizontal space into other simultaneous voices and staves
in the system.  Offhand I can't see any value in shifting only
one voice, and thus disrupting the vertical alignment of that
voice with other voices on the staff or other staves in the
system.

My hunch is that the simplest solution is to extend the left side
of the Rest X-extent so that Lily will stencil the rest farther
to the right.  If that is the solution, then I must be clueless
on the syntax to do that, because

    \once \override Rest #'X-extent = #'(2 . 2)

and

    \once \override Rest #'X-extent = #'(-2 . 2)

both produce console warnings and give gibberish results for
the engraving of both the cue note and the rest.  Garbage out
suggests garbage in, so I'm stumped.