Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:18:45 -0800

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Pancer <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well, here I'm the one who is confused. I never heard "C6" and the
>>> others you mention below.
>>
>> Apologies. "C5" is known as middle C.
>
> It isn't.  You are confusing this with its big brother C4.
>
>> "C6" is the C in the third space of treble clef. etc..
>
> That's C5.  C6 is already high soprano turf.
>
> Perhaps we are better off with Helmholtz notation after all.

It turns out that the correct number for C4, C5, and so on can be found
by counting the number of Cs on a standard 88-key piano, starting from
the low end and starting with 1. Is this an accident, or is this the
origin of that numbering system? (I'm assuming that the three "leftover"
keys lower than the lowest C on the piano are numbered zero?)

I suspect but can't remember with certainty, that MIDI uses this
numbering system incorrectly, and I think that might be the source of
the confusion here.

--
David R