Re: minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 07:58:36 +0000 (UTC)

Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan <at> sympatico.ca> writes:

> > Is there anything you use a lot in your score that could sometimes
> > force staves further apart,
> > depending on how the note-spacing comes out ?
>
> My score is frenched, so the estimates could be based on system extents
> BEFORE the empty ones are removed…

The system tries to be smart about that, and it seems to work. I could not
fool the minimal page breaker with simple music on a frenched score.
(The defualt, optimal-breaking, does not impress me with how it chooses
breaks just before or after a staff becomes empty on a frenched score.)

The weakness of the page-filling system tends to be related to how it ignores
the possibility that items from different systems might interleave a bit.

\paper {
  page-breaking = #ly:minimal-breaking
  ragged-bottom=##t }
k = 4 n = 8 m = #(* 3 n)
<<
 \repeat unfold \k {
   \repeat unfold \m {c'4 d' e' f''''} }
 \new Lyrics \repeat unfold \k {
   \repeat unfold \m \lyricmode {lo-4 rem ip- sum } }
 \repeat unfold \k {
   \repeat unfold \n {c,4 d' e' f'}
   \repeat unfold \n {R1 R1} } >>