Re: Tuplets and partcombine

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Tuplets and partcombine
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:42:05 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Rosen <drosen27 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> { \partcombine
>   { \times 2/3 { f'' f'' f'' } }
>   { \times 2/3 { bes' bes' bes' } }
> }

> Gets me this error:
> 5:4: warning: No tuplet to end

It is a bug <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=245>

LilyPond generates internally a start-bracket-event and stop-bracket-event
for each tuplet.  When the rhythms are identical, \partcombine combines them
into one voice, so they go to the same Tuplet_engraver.  That Tuplet_engraver
combines the start-events silently into one, which is correct because we only
want one bracket printed, but warns when it combines the end events.

If there are only a few, in version 2.16 and later you can
  #(ly:expect-warning "No tuplet to end")
  #(ly:expect-warning "No tuplet to end")
to suppress each message, one-by-one,

I think this warning can be dropped, because it is annoying and does not
protect us from any mistakes.