Re: Joining rests in two voices

From: Werner
Subject: Re: Joining rests in two voices
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:07:23 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Ashton <jdashton <at> AshtonFam.org> wrote:

> Along similar lines, when two voices both have rests of the same
> duration, is there an easy way to join the rests?

I searched the lilypond-docs and didn't find an answer to that question.
For two voices in g-clef it is possible to write

<<
{ a8 g a4 b \rest a | }
//
{ f8 e f4 b \rest f | }

right?

But for two reasons* I would prefer something like

\joinRests
<<
{ a8 g a4 r a | }
//
{ f8 e f4 r f | }

*
1. if transposing or changing the clef the rest is no more in the middle of the
staff
2. its to much to write

btw. in the docs, I didnt find much about rests at all (at least in the german
version, which I studied today (and btw. there is called "Bindebogen" in
opposite to "Legatobogen", what I would call "Haltebogen". I would understand
"Bindebogen" and "Legatobogen" synonym.))

Thanks for a hint.

greetings

Werner