produce midi drums but hide staff

From: vector
Subject: produce midi drums but hide staff
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 15:07:03 +1100

Hi there,
Im getting the hang of this even tho it might not look it ;) thanks for all your inputs.

I wanted to add a simple drumbeat to the previous script and produce a basic chord and drums midi.
so far I have this working.
But I want to remove the drums completely from the pdf output. ie just show chord progression only.

but
\new DrumStaff <<
      \stopStaff
      \hideNotes
      \new DrumVoice {\voiceOne \up}
      \new DrumVoice { \voiceTwo \down }

did just that, it hid the staff but the notes are left floating. hideNotes had no effect :(
maybe its in the wrong place?