Re: changing spacing between title and first system

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: changing spacing between title and first system
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:56:52 +0100

2012/12/5 Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden>:
> ... curious -- there's also this, in section 4.1 (spacing issues), which
> seems to contradict the statement in the "known issues and warnings"
> section;
>
> "Note that the \paper variables discussed in this section do not control the
> spacing of staves within individual systems. Within-system spacing is
> controlled by grob properties, with settings typically entered inside a
> \score or \layout block, and not inside a \paper block. See Flexible
> vertical spacing within systems."
>
> Well, which is it? Is the title treated as a system, or not?
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Could someone please show me a short, working example of an .ly that sets
>> the spacing between the title and the first system? I was about to give it a
>> shot myself, until I saw, under "known issues and warnings" for version
>> 2.16,
>>
>> "The titles (from the \header block) are treated as a system, so
>> ragged-bottom and ragged-last-bottom will add space between the titles and
>> the first system of the score. "
>>
>> If this is the case, then how can I change the spacing between the title
>> -- to Lilypond, the "first system," I guess -- and the first system of
>> music, without disturbing the spacing between the systems of actual music?
>> Looking at past versions' documentation, it seems like this used to be
>> easier to do.
>>
>> thank you,
>> Jeff
>>
>> --
>> 《〠》】〶【〖〠〗〶〛〷〚
>> Jeff Treviño
>> PhD Candidate in Music Composition
>> @ the University of California, San Diego
>> 〖〠〗〶〛〷〚《〠》】〶
>> Skype: jeffreytrevino
>> E-mail: address@hidden
>> 〚《〠》】〶【〖〠〗〶〛〷
>> 9310H Redwood Dr.
>> La Jolla, CA 92037
>> USA
>> 〖〠〗〶〛〷〚《〠》】〶【
>>

> --
> 《〠》】〶【〖〠〗〶〛〷〚
> Jeff Treviño
> PhD Candidate in Music Composition
> @ the University of California, San Diego
> 〖〠〗〶〛〷〚《〠》】〶
> Skype: jeffreytrevino
> E-mail: address@hidden
> 〚《〠》】〶【〖〠〗〶〛〷
> 9310H Redwood Dr.
> La Jolla, CA 92037
> USA
> 〖〠〗〶〛〷〚《〠》】〶【

Hi Jeff,

perhaps someone else should explain it.
The vertical spacing is very powerful since 2.14.2.
But like every very powerful system, it is complicated and sometimes puzzling.

But your basic-problem might be solved with:

\version "2.16.1"

\header {
    title = "TITLE"
}

\paper {
  markup-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #50
}

\relative c' {
        \repeat unfold 20 { c1 \break }
}