Re: why doesn't this put lyrics where I

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: why doesn't this put lyrics where I
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 03:37:08 +0000 (UTC)

james <james.lilypond <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
>
> James, I have read the Learning Manual. It is not clear what can be placed
where. What I am trying to do is write:

> 1.       A chord
>
> Learning Manual 2.2.4

I had to chuckle reading this, because I often send similar types of answers to
the SuperCollider user mailing list. It's really hard to do this and make it
not
sound snippy, as in, "Well, you just didn't read it carefully enough." In fact,
sometimes, learning where a particular piece of information lives in a large
manual set takes as long as learning the software. True, this case seems pretty
basic -- I'm just pointing out something that I try to keep in mind when I'm
pointing an SC user to this or that help file.

Anyway, if the point is to put them together:

myChords = \relative c' {
  <c e g c e>1 ^"short text"
  <c d a' d f>
  <b d g d' f>
  <c e g c e>
}

<<
  % would be nice to reuse \myChords for \chordMode,
  % but \chordmode doesn't understand the 4-2 and 6-5 voicings
  % only from the note names
  \new ChordNames { \chordmode { c1 d:m/c g:7/b c } }
  \new Staff \myChords

> Learning Manual 2.5.1

Doesn't exist in the v2.16 manual.

hjh