Re: notation for the Celtic bow movement called a cut

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: notation for the Celtic bow movement called a cut
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:09:57 +0100

On 21 Mar 2012, at 01:41, Tom Tobin wrote:

> I'd like to request a feature for Lilypond, if it hasn't been requested
> already.
> There is a musical expression in Irish, Scottish, and Cape Breton fiddling,
> called a cut.  It is a quick flick of the fiddler's bow wrist, to cause the
> bow
> to change direction three times.

A quick net-search on Irish fiddling gives several meaning for the word "cut".
The book by Miles Krassen, "O'Neill's music of Ireland New & Revisited" has a
section "Ornamentation in Irish music", which does not use the term, but just
describes the ornaments in traditional terms. For example, a bowed triplet is
written with traditional bowing signs, and it can often be interchangeable with
a roll. The bowed triplet can also be performed with the third note different
from the two first.

Hans