Stem direction/merging in mixed identical/different rhythm

From: Felipe Pereira
Subject: Stem direction/merging in mixed identical/different rhythm
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:53:34 -0300

Hello,

I'd like to write this song with Lilypond:  http://www.taize.fr/spip.php?page=chant&song=203&lang=en
(in fact I'm writing with portuguese lyrics)

Just so you don't need to click the site, here's the problem. Many of these songs have identical rhythm, except for some parts. When the rhythm is the same, I want to have same stem direction (may be neutral), because all originals are like this and seems to be easier to read than with four separated voices with opposite stems. When the rhythm is not the same, I want to fallback to 1-2-3-4 voices being S=stemUp, A=down, T=up, B=down.

Also, I'd like to have separate and unique variables for voices (sopMus, altoMus, etc), because I may want to output MIDI with higher volume on one of the voices (e.g. for soprano learning). But I'm kind of giving up on this...

Up until now I tried to keep SA and TB in two voices only and separate them when needed.
- soprano: normal, no \stemXX command, no new voice, just plain notes.
- alto: create a new Voice like this:
altoMus = \relative c' {
% quia1
e8 e4 e8 cis cis | \new Voice { \stemDown cis8 [ b8 ] } cis2 |

Later this is arranged in one voice only with:
\new Voice = "women" {
<< \global \sopranoMus \altoMus >>
}

This is ok, worked, BUT creating new voices inside variables didn't seem to be a good way to do it. Also I had already come accross a score that I needed to create a voice for soprano too (I needed to force stemUp), and then my lyrics were broken. I also tried to insert \voiceOne/Two and \stemUp/Down before the different parts, but it didn't work.

Another related problem: I want note collisions of opposite stems to be merged, but only when they have the same duration -- I'm having problem here, notes are being merged even with different duration (there's a case in the linked score, 3rd bar before the end).

I have some other questions but I will post parsimoniously.

thanks in advance,
--
Felipe