Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Sibelius user looking for the easiest way to learn LilyPond
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:44:33 +0800

At Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:14:02 -0400,
address@hidden wrote:
> Impressive! Can you now create scores as quickly as you used to in
> Finale?

It's partly a matter of where you want to spend your time. My go-to example is
here:

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words/blog5.php/2011/07/11/the-year-s-over-and-done

I digress a bit in the text, but the point is the 3/8 bar. In Finale, I'm quite
sure you would have to spend(waste) time adjusting the horizontal position of
one or the other voice *and* some of the dots. And this is not even a very
complex example, but Finale would require manual intervention and Lilypond did
not. (The image in that post is lilypond's default output, no tweaks.)

(I never used Sibelius so I don't know if it would do any better.)

I'm an off-and-on lilypond user for a few months now and I still have to look
up a lot of things in the manual. That slows me down. But I'm spending only a
tiny fraction of the time adjusting things that didn't render right: that's

- just a few things in Lilypond;
- a LOT in Finale;
- probably somewhat better in Sibelius but not as clean as Lilypond
out-of-the-box.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world