Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:15:39 -0800

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 01:33:01AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> Is there a reason you don't want to answer Francisco's question?  Is
> there a reason you don't want to tell FreeBSD users why they should
> prefer your "ad-hoc port" over the official distribution for FreeBSD?
>
> > What version of FreeBSD are you running?
>
> What makes you think that every developer is running every system for
> which LilyPond provides binaries?

Forgive me, I don't mean to be evasive.  The official FreeBSD
ports tree includes only 2.14.2 at present (as the print/lilypond
port).  Given that a call for testers was made recently, I
decided to create a port framework for FreeBSD so that I can
track frequent upgrades of pre-release development versions using
BSD's convenient ports system.

I am offering this bit of infrastructure that I created so that others
can do so also, if they wish.

It is "ad-hoc" only in the sense that I have not asked to have it
added to the FreeBSD's official repository.  This '-devel'
version port is just something I created to facilitate rapid
build and upgrade of lilypond while I track the pre-release
development versions.  Per the Makefile, 2.15.33 source is
downloaded from
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/v2.15/, and per
the distinfo, that source file must verify at 15840907 bytes with
an SHA256 hash of
04f24987ddd5f2ac44577b8455321259c7c1a6ccadae1faad8323086d27ca089
so it definitely does use the official source distribution, and
that official source distribution is not included in my port, nor
are any files created by the LilyPond team distributed in my
port.  It resolves dependencies, downloads, verifies, and builds
the program from source the same way the FreeBSD 2.14.2 port
(/usr/ports/print/lilypond) does (or indeed, the same way that
any of the 24,000 or so FreeBSD ports do), so that standard BSD
port management tools and practices can be used to manage installed
applications and their dependencies.

As to why FreeBSD users should find this download useful, it
makes lilypond-2.15.33 available from within the BSD ports tree,
so that standard BSD port tools can be used.  I would encourage
any FreeBSD user that has questions to un-tar the port into their
ports tree and inspect the files extensively before trying a
'make' or 'make install'.  Especially, compare the
print/lilypond-devel port to the existing print/lilypond port
that builds 2.14.2.  They're highly similar, because I'm just
tweaking the work previously done to integrate 2.14.2 into the
FreeBSD ports tree.

Here is a listing of the tar archive:

$ ls -l ~ftp/pub/lilypond-devel-2.15.33.tar
-rw-r--r--  1 james  james  29184 Mar  9 15:09
/usr/home/ftp/pub/lilypond-devel-2.15.33.tar
$ tar tvf ~ftp/pub/lilypond-devel-2.15.33.tar
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Mar  9 15:08 print/
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Mar  9 15:08 print/lilypond-devel/
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Mar  9 15:06 print/lilypond-devel/scripts/
drwxr-xr-x  0 root   wheel       0 Mar  9 15:05 print/lilypond-devel/files/
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel   18670 Mar  9 14:38 print/lilypond-devel/pkg-plist
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel    2482 Mar  9 14:58 print/lilypond-devel/Makefile
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel     142 Mar  9 15:06 print/lilypond-devel/distinfo
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel     535 Mar  4 19:43 print/lilypond-devel/pkg-descr
-rw-r--r--  0 root   wheel     387 Mar  4 19:43
print/lilypond-devel/files/patch-config.make.in

This port provides a minimal framework compatible with the
FreeBSD ports system which permits any ports-enabled BSD system
to use standard BSD management tools (portupgrade, pkg_delete,
etc.) to build, package, install, upgrade and deinstall lilypond
2.15.33 from source.

Ports are a standardized way of installing any of nearly 24,000
different software packages on many BSD systems (FreeBSD, NetBSD,
etc.) while managing their dependencies, and managing upgrades.

For more information, see http://freebsd.org/ports/