Re: Vertical Spacing - A Newbie Question

From: James
Subject: Re: Vertical Spacing - A Newbie Question
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:29:12 +0000

Hello,

On 5 March 2012 17:57, Robert Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've used Lilypond a few times and been generally impressed. However, there
> is one thing I cannot figure out: how do I leave a vertical blank space
> between lines of music? For example, if I'm transcribing a chart that has a
> D.S. al coda, I'd like an inch  or so of space between the main chart and
> the coda.
>
> This seems like such an obvious requirement, and I apologize if my befuddled
> brain hasn't recognized it in any of the documentation.

The way I do it is to create a separate \score { } for my main piece
and for my coda.

Then you can use 'score-system-spacing'

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-_005cpaper-variables

Something like

\version "2.14.2"

musicMain= { a b c d ... }

musicCoda = { e f g h ...}

\score {
  \musicMain
}

\score {
  \musicCoda
}

\paper {
score-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #20
}

Then I also use

ragged-last-bottom in my \paper variable as set to #t else that
interferes with the overall gap I want by 'pulling' the coda to the
bottom regardless.

That works for me.

This also indents the coda as it is a new \score, by default but if
you don't want that you can just add indent = 0\mm to your \paper (I
think, I haven't tried that specifically but I think it will work).

Anyway, I hope you get the idea.

James